24 Comments

1. Plamen

Hello Akash,

I have one question:

Do you have a problem to open folders/files with touch screen?

I boot my usb and choose Try Ubuntu, to see if all works correct before install.
    And all is good, only when I try to open some folder/file with touchscreen, I can’t. I try many times to tap on screen, but without result. Do you have the same problem.

May be this is problem in Try version, and after I really install on my laptop, this problem will be solved.

What do you mean?

Thanks,
    Plamen

• Akash Jain

Hello Plamen, you are right the double click doesn’t work with touch screen. I have been trying to emulate double click with easystroke too but couldn’t. I am sure it can be done with easystroke gesture support, only that it will need some time to figure. I will post a solution here if I find.

• Akash Jain

One more thing , wireless signal strength is very bad. I thought initially that I had a problem with the router, but even when I am sitting right next to router the signal strength is bad. I hope there will be better wireless drivers in next Ubunut release.

2. Plamen

Hi Akash.
    Do you find some solution or fix for wifi signal?

I hate win8 😀 and I want to install some Linux, but I need good Internet connection for my work.

3. Raj

Does this help:
    Create /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    Add module parameter: options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    reboot

Seems to have worked for Atheros AR9485 WiFi card on Ubunut 12.04 for Acer Aspire which I belive is same card as Asus S400CA

• Akash Jain

I tried echo “options ath9k nohwcrypt=1” > /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf but this doesn’t seem to work. Finally I bought a USB wireless adapter that’s working fine. It’s a little inconvenient to have it sticking out of the notebook, but at least I have good wifi signal.

Now the next problem is double clicking with touch…

4. Ahmet

Hi Raj this didnot work for Asus vivobook s400ca which use atheros AR9485 wireless network adapter.

Is there anyother suggestion?

5. Plamen

Hi Akash,

I install developer version on ubuntu 13.04 and there is no problem with double clicking with touch (party).
    The only one problem for now is with wifi adapter. I buy one usb, but I have problem too 🙁 I hope to release date of 13.04 we can enjoy wifi fix.

Plamen

• Akash Jain

Let’s hope that with 13.04 we will have better WIFI. With USB , I am getting fair reception ( not full strength though)

6. Tony

Ha Akash,
    Did you have any trouble with other hardware in the laptop? Bluetooth, external video (HDMI/VGA), SD reader?

How’s the resolution of the display? 1366×768 is a bit low resolution these days and I was wondering how it looked on a 14″ screen. The S400ca is on my short list of possible laptops that have touch screens for Ubuntu…

• Akash Jain

Hello Tony.

Bluetooth works ( I see the icon in tray) but never connected any device via it. External video and SDCARD also I didn’t try but I am sure they are supported.

Resolution is really low compared to other laptops. The view is not very bright too, but I can’t complaint at the price it came.

2 Things you are not going to like about CA400 is – Low resolution and keyboard. The keys on the keyboard are not very responsive. On mine, the W has to be hit harder than just a touch. Otherwise, it’s a decent machine.

• Tony

Mine came today, overall, not too bad. The trackpad has a little bit of a loose feeling, but the keyboard has worked well so far. Wifi has been pretty bad as expected, but the one thing I didn’t expect is that it appears that the ethernet chipset is not compatible with Ubuntu.

I also noticed on mine I can’t seem to get grub to boot my windows 8 partition properly. If I reboot and hit esc where it will find the boot loader for windows 8, then I can get into it (kind of inconvenient, but workable)

I have to find a USB wifi dongle so I can update my laptop, which model/brand did you end up buying?

• Akash Jain

Yes, Windows 8 Doesn’t boot from Grub. Moreover windows 8 has to be shut down completely to boot Ubuntu. Everytime you shutdown windows it actually just hibernates.

I think my network worked without any additinal drivers. I bought a Dlink wireless dongle, but still the strength is not 100%.

• Tony

Hmm, for some reason I don’t see the bluetooth tray icon and the settings claims there is no bluetooth hardware on mine…. I’ll have to go into the BIOS to make sure it’s not disabled…. Of course, might be that I just need to finish getting the updates for it to function 🙂

7. Larry

Thank you very much! Of all the guides out there, yours was the only one that worked.

8. Thanawut

Ohhhh, It really work. Thank a lot ^___^

9. arixal

for your problems to shutdown windows, I just found out that you can make it do complete shutdown by disabling “fast startup” in “power options” -> “choose what the power buttons do”

select “shutdown” in “when i press the power button”, and then click “change settings that are currently unavailable”..

at the near bottom of the page, you should be able to deactivate “turn on fast startup” options..

• Akash Jain

Thanks, I am sure this would be great for someone on a dual boot. Else I have to go a very long way everytime to shut down the PC. BTW, I ditched windows 8 and got win7 on this pc. Works great.

10. tonghua li

Hi Akash,

Do you have problems on space bar? it is not every responsive.
    Is it a problem with ubuntu or hardware?

11. Paul Miles

Hi Akash,

It’s a while since anyone posted here, but I wondered if the touchscreen has improved at all under 14.04.

I’m considering getting the S400CA i7 this summer. It seems the best 14 inch touchscreen laptop for price and ubuntu compatibility. Has anyone else tried a fresh install of 14.04 on this laptop without changing the wifi adapter?

Paul

• Akash Jain

Hello paul, sorry but I don’t have this one anymore so can’t comment if the touch has improved. I hope someone who has it does post his experience.

12. thanks, you made my day.